Florida Office
300 S. Daytona Ave., #877, Flagler Beach, FL 32136
 Office: (386) 338-3462 | Fax: (386) 463-5373 

Ohio Office
5533 Southwyck Blvd., Suite 101, Toledo, OH 43614
Office: (419) 867-9966 | Fax: (386) 463-5373
Copyright © 2014 Wynn Law Offices All Rights Reserved.


For many people who come to this country in pursuit of the American dream, attaining permanent residence, or a green card, is a crucial first step on the path to becoming a citizen.  To become a permanent resident, foreigners must first file an “immigrant visa” petition.  This visa petition can be based on either family or employment.  Then, after the visa petition is approved, the person can file to adjust their status (if they are in the U.S. and are eligible) or go through the U.S. consulate abroad (if they are outside the U.S. or they are in the U.S. and are not eligible to adjust status).

Certain other foreigners such as asylees (people granted asylum) and refugees also qualify for permanent residency.  To determine whether you qualify for an immigrant visa or another manner of obtaining permanent residency, please email us or call us at (419) 867-9966 to schedule a case assessment with an experienced attorney.

These are some of the factors that our government, and specifically The U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS), consider when deciding whether to grant lawful permanent resident status (otherwise known as getting the “green card”).  These include:
  • How a person entered the U.S. (e.g. whether using a visa or running across the border)
  • Whether a person who entered with a visa maintained their lawful status
  • Whether you have ever lied to an immigration official
  • Whether or not you have any “diseases of public significance”
  • Whether or not your spouse or petitioner earns enough money to sponsor you
  • Whether you have falsely claimed to be a U.S. citizen (e.g. to get work)
  • Whether you have worked in the United States without authorization
  • Whether you have committed or been convicted of certain crimes
  • Whether our government has a terrorism or security concern with your case
These factors and others determine whether or not you are inadmissible under Section 212 of the Immigration and Nationality Act.  To determine whether or not you may encounter such a roadblock on your path to permanent residency, it is important to speak with an experienced immigration lawyer.  Even if there is an issue in your past, there may be a waiver.  Waivers allow you to ask forgiveness for the issue and apply for permanent residency despite that immigration law violation.