Florida Office
300 S. Daytona Ave., #877, Flagler Beach, FL 32136
 Office: (386) 338-3462 | Fax: (386) 463-5373 

Ohio Office
5533 Southwyck Blvd., Suite 101, Toledo, OH 43614
Office: (419) 867-9966 | Fax: (386) 463-5373
Copyright © 2014 Wynn Law Offices All Rights Reserved.


At Wynn Law Offices, we believe in the promise of America as a nation of immigrants — and just as strongly, we believe in the right of every person in this country to live free from violence. Several different types of visas are available for women, men, and children who are victims of domestic violence or of the trafficking trade. Whether you are currently living with your abuser or are facing deportation proceedings because you have left the abusive relationship, let us explain your options and help you decide how to proceed. We represent clients all over the country. Call (419) 867-9966 to talk to an experienced lawyer about VAWA visas or visas for victims of human trafficking.

Basic Information About VAWA Visas

The Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) offers independent visa options to anyone whose immigration status depends on his or her relationship with a U.S. citizen or permanent resident who is abusing them. With visas under the Violence Against Women Act, victims of abuse can self-petition for permanent residency and for their own biological children. Immigrant children suffering abuse at the hands of a biological or step-parent who is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident may also use the Violence Against Women Act visa process to self-petition for an independent green card.

The requirements for visas under the Violence Against Women Act are many and strict, and the possible consequences of failure in the petitioning process are serious. This is why legal help for self-petitioning spouses is critical. Also, the benefits of approval are many. You will receive work authorization and you will receive deferred action status on any deportation proceedings. It is also important to know that if deportation proceedings have already begun, you may be able to use a Violence Against Women Act to get the deportation proceedings canceled.

If you are staying with an abusive U.S. citizen because you are worried your marriage visa won't be approved if you leave — contact us for legal advice. If your Violence Against Women Act visa petition is approved, then you no longer need the marriage status to get your green card.

Visas for Victims of Trafficking

Two primary laws protect victims of trafficking: the Trafficking Victims Protection Act and the Victims of Trafficking and Violence Protection Act. These laws offer U visas and T visas to trafficking victims.

T visas are for people who are brought to the United States under fraudulent conditions then forced into prostitution or slavery. For example, if you were brought into the United States with the promise of a student visa, then had your passport taken away and were forced to work as a prostitute, you may qualify for a T visa.

U visas can also be used to help trafficking victims. U visas a broader in scope and provides status for applicants who have suffered physical and/or mental abuse as the result of being a victim of certain criminal activity. Both types of visas (T and U) require the applicants to cooperate fully with law enforcement investigations.