Florida Office
300 S. Daytona Ave., #877, Flagler Beach, FL 32136
 Office: (386) 338-3462 | Fax: (386) 463-5373 

Ohio Office
5533 Southwyck Blvd., Suite 101, Toledo, OH 43614
Office: (419) 867-9966 | Fax: (386) 463-5373
Copyright © 2014 Wynn Law Offices All Rights Reserved.


Immigrants looking to live or work in the United States must go through our country's immigration process. An immigrant can live, work, or go to school here temporarily while having the intent to return home and be on a very specific type of visa. Immigrants who intend to spend the rest of their life living in the United States must become a Lawful Permanent Resident (or LPR.) A person cannot live here on a temporary visa, with some limited exceptions. An immigrant wanting to become a citizen of the United States must go through the naturalization process after having been an LPR for a period of five years, with some exceptions.

An individual looking to become an LPR of the United States faces a complex and lengthy process to first obtain an "immigrant visa." There are four primary avenues by which an individual can obtain an immigrant visa. This includes family, employment, asylum or refugee status, or the diversity lottery. After an individual has successfully obtained an immigrant visa, they can seek to adjust their status to become an LPR. There are certain requirements that must be met in order to become a permanent resident of the United States. Upon achieving this status, the government issues the "green card" or proof that a person is, in fact, an LPR.

Wynn Law Offices represent clients in a range of immigration law issues. For more information, please follow the links below or contact us at (419) 867-9966.

Family Visas and Citizenship

A citizen or LPR of the United States can sponsor a spouse, child, parent, or another family member for an immigrant visa. However, only a citizen can sponsor their fiancé or fiancée. There are a limited number of family visas available, and waiting times vary depending on the relationship between the sponsor and the immigrant.

Find out more about family visas and citizenship and these related topics:
  • Marriage and Fiancé/Fiancée Visas
  • Parent and Child Visas
  • Visas for victims of domestic violence under the Violence Against Woman Act
  • Conditional Residence
  • Citizenship and Naturalization
Employment-Based Immigration

A United States employer can sponsor a current or potential employee for temporary or permanent residency. It may also be possible for certain highly qualified individuals to come to the United States without sponsorship by an employer. Most cases for permanent resident status through employment must begin while the foreigner is on a dual intent visa such as an H-1B or an L. Additionally, it is important that all employers know that all people, regardless of whether they are a United States citizen or a foreigner, must be authorized to work in the United States and must complete a Form I-9 with their employer within three days of beginning their employment.

Find out more about employment immigration and these related topics:
  • Permanent Employment Visas 
  • H-1B Visas 
  • Temporary Work Visas 
  • I-9 Compliance
Removal and Deportation

The United States government may commence deportation or removal proceedings if an individual has violated immigration or certain criminal laws. When an individual is deported, they cannot re-enter the United States. However, several options, including becoming a Lawful Permanent Resident, may be available for individuals who have been targeted for deportation.

Find out more about deportation and removal and these related topics:
  • What Are Deportation and Removal?
  • Deportation and Removal Defense 
  • Relief From Deportation 
  • Bonds & Detainers 
  • Deportation and Detention for a Criminal Violation 
  • Padilla Advertisements and Motions to Withdraw 
  • Deportation and Removal Appeals
Immigration Appeals and Litigation

In certain cases, it may be appropriate to appeal a negative immigration decision. Appeals must be filed before the appeal deadline or you may lose your chance to continue your case. When new evidence comes to light after a negative decision, an appeal may not be appropriate. In those cases, the individual should file a motion to reopen. There are also time limits on filing motions to reopen, and you can only file one. It is critical to consult with an experienced immigration attorney immediately after a denial to determine what your options are going forward. A denial is not always the end of the case. Many cases succeed after an initial denial, but it is important to act quickly or potentially lose your chance to continue the case. Find out more about immigration appeals and litigation.